POP QUIZ: TURN ON THE TELLY TO THE BBC
(If you’re checking out a Trivialitycheck.com ‘Pop Quiz’ for the first time: Every Wednesday (or most, anyway) I post ten trivia questions, usually on some kind of theme. If you respond with answers or guesses, I’ll tell you your score. Send your answers to email@example.com with the title of this post as the subject line. The full set of answers is posted the following week, along with congratulations to the high scorer(s). No googling!)
This week is the 80th anniversary of BBC Television. They were broadcasting way back in 1936 when, I assume, the first thing to air was a rerun of “Midsomer Murders”.
I’m a big fan of BBC shows, and so are American TV execs. There have been countless American remakes of Brit shows over the years. Some have been great, some have not.
Given the British original, can you name the American remake?
1) Musical set in a casino ‘Blackpool’
2) Murder mystery serial ‘Broadchurch’
3) Working-class family sitcom ‘Till Death Do Us Part’
4) Political comedy ‘The Thick Of It’
5) Spin-Off sitcom ‘George And Mildred’
6) Sitcom about a cartoonist ‘Keep It In The Family’
7) Sitcom set in an ESL class ‘Mind Your Language’
8) Topical comedy ‘Not The Nine O’Clock News’
9) Seventies class drama ‘Upstairs Downstairs’
10) Old-age comedy ‘One Foot In The Grave’