POP QUIZ: A PERSNICKETY QUIZ (answers)
If you can recall, way back last month…
Big hurrah for Michelle B who topped the leaderboard with a perfect 10/10! Way to go Michelle!
1) A slang term for the buttocks.
2) One who is learning, usually from a master of a particular craft.
3) To convert from one system of communication into another, usually to obscure the meaning for the purposes of secrecy
4) A disease leading to a softness and deformation of the bones
5) The unsaturated hydrocarbon C8H8, used chiefly in making synthetic rubber
6) The villain in a popular creation myth
7) A mostly out-of-use word for itenerant repairmen
8) Afflicted, usually by disease, misfortune, or sorrow
9) Showing remarkable foresight or anticipation
10) A proof of purchase
2) PRENTICE (note: this means the same as ‘apprentice’, but ‘prentice’ is a valid word on its own)
An online anagram tool I used in compiling this quiz lists 828 words which can be spelled from the letters in ‘persnickety’. That may seem like a lot, but when you’ve got ten letters, one of them twice, you’ve got more than a third of the alphabet.
Some odd words on the list include ‘terpenic’ (another hydrocarbon), ‘penster’ ( a writer, usually a bad one) and ‘pyknics’, a type of basket often stolen by Yogi Bear (actually not that at all).