POP QUIZ: A SPORTING CHANCE (answers)
First off, an apology, and a big thank you to my brother Tim for pointing out a very silly error. I conflated two golfing stories, and should have caught my own error in double-checking, but failed to do so. It was Adam Hadwin, not Dustin Johnson, who re-arranged his honeymoon so he could play in the Masters. But it was Dustin Johnson who fell down a flight of stairs, injured his back, and dropped out the day before play commenced, which is what I intended the question to be about. Hadwin played, and tied for 36th place. Sorry for writing such a crappy question. And thanks to Tim for simply informing me of my error, and not… y’know … being an older brother about it. 🙂
And congratulations to Ralph L and Todd J who tied for high score this week, with near-perfect nines. Sorry gents, no OT in this game, you’ll have to arrange a trophy-sharing schedule. Well done, both of you!
1) Serena Williams recently announced that she was pregnant, and furthermore that she only found out herself two days before the start of which Grand Slam event, which she won?
2) The first-round match between Frances Tiafoe and Mitchell Krueger at The Sarasota Open was delayed for what unusual cause?
3) Kathrine Switzer again completed what sporting achievement recently, 50 years after becoming the first woman ever to do so (officially)?
4) Last month, Dustin Johnson postponed his honeymoon so he could play in The Masters, starting April 6th. How did he perform at that tournament?
5) What revered racer, fan favourite, and scion of racing royalty announced his retirement from NASCAR as of the end of this season?
6) What Sports Broadcasting organization laid off 100 employees this week, including on-air talent like NFL commentator Ed Werder, and newsdesk anchor Jay Crawford?
7) Which tennis star won her first match at the Porsche Grand Prix on Wednesday, coming back after a fifteen month doping ban?
8) What sport, amateur and professional, saw record-breaking betting with Las Vegas bookmakers, with over $439.5 Million bet on the sport in the month of March?
9) What’s the name of the former NFL player who was convicted of First-Degree Murder in 2015 and hanged himself in prison earlier this month?
10) Washington Capitals player Alexander Ovechkin has vowed to compete in what upcoming event, despite an NHL decision to not allow its players to do so?
1) THE AUSTRALIAN OPEN
2) THE SOUND OF PEOPLE HAVING SEX IN A NEARBY CONDO
3) THE BOSTON MARATHON
4) HE DROPPED OUT (back injury)
5) DALE EARNHARDT JR.
7) MARIA SHARAPOVA
8) BASKETBALL (mostly because of the NCAA ‘March Madness’)
9) AARON HERNANDEZ
10) THE WINTER OLYMPICS
The ‘sounds of passionate love-making’ at the Sarasota open were loud enough to be heard throughout the stadium. After player Tiafoe hit some tennis balls toward the condo from which the sounds were emanating, the noise abated, but soon picked up again. Tiafoe then shouted “It can’t be that good”. The sounds only lasted about a minute, so I guess he was right.
The first time Switzer ran The Boston Marathon, she registered under just her initials – K.V. Switzer – and officials did not realize she was a woman. Once they saw her running, some fine gentleman tried to tackle her, but was blocked by Switzer’s boyfriend. At age 70, she has now completed the marathon again, wearing her original number, and only 25 minutes slower than her original time.