POP QUIZ: COME ON IN AND COVER ME! (answers)
And congratulations this week go to Tom A! Hooray for Tom!
Amidst some very stiff competition, Tom edged out a win with a near-perfect 29/30. That’s some mighty fine listening, Tom, well done.
Clips are still around to listen to, here.
1) HEART – BLACK DOG (LED ZEPPELIN)
2) DAVID LEE ROTH – CALIFORNIA GIRLS (BEACH BOYS)
3) ROBERT PLANT – CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE (QUEEN)
4) RUSH – CROSSROADS (ROBERT JOHNSON) (ACC: CREAM)
5) CHEAP TRICK – DON’T BE CRUEL (ELVIS PRESLEY)
6) LINDA RONSTADT – IT’S SO EASY (BUDDY HOLLY)
7) JOE COCKER – THE LETTER (BOX TOPS)
8) BILLY IDOL – MONY MONY (TOMMY JAMES & SHONDELLS)
9) PHIL COLLINS – YOU CAN’T HURRY LOVE (SUPREMES)
10) ROD STEWART – TWISTIN’ THE NIGHT AWAY (SAM COOKE)
Cover tunes are a funny thing for me. If I like a song, I tend to like whichever version I heard first. So I like the Beatles “Twist & Shout” better than I like the Isley Brothers’, because I heard the Beatles version first. Novelty covers, like the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain or Hayseed Dixie tend to wear on me very quickly. But there are exceptions: