POP QUIZ: CURRENT EVENTS
(If you’re checking out a Trivialitycheck.com ‘Pop Quiz’ for the first time: Every Wednesday (or most, anyway) I post ten trivia questions, usually on some kind of theme. If you respond with answers or guesses, I’ll tell you your score. Send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of this post as the subject line. The full set of answers is posted the following week, along with congratulations to the high scorer(s). No googling!)
August is traditionally the slowest news month of the year, which means a higher number of weird stories make it into the news. These aren’t all weird, but some of them are weird enough to make up for the others.
Have you read the news today, oh boy?
1) Google ran into trouble this week, when they tried to call their new development division ‘Alphabet’ and found out that what other corporation already
owns the trademark on that company name?
2) How did Hilary Clinton ask twitter followers to express their feelings regarding student loan debt?
3) Having successfully traversed much of Europe and Canada, a hitchhiking robot met its end where?
4) The International Olympic Committee recently recognized what sport, and its governing body the WFDF, paving the way for the sport’s inclusion in future
5) What convicted killer is set to be released from prison this week, having served only 304 days for his crime?
6) With the fifteen games played on Tuesday August 11th, what happened for the first time in Major League Baseball history?
7) What long-running show is being picked up by HBO, allowing them to produce nearly twice as many episodes per season, and also, presumably, to be
‘sponsored’ by some more colourful words?
8) A Latvian airline flight from Oslo to Crete was delayed when both pilot and co-pilot failed to do what?
9) What company apologized for posting a message on Facebook to celebrate South Africa’s ‘Women’s Day’, because their message read in part “Think Like A
10) The Cotopaxi Volcano threatened eruption last week, sparking a State Of Emergency in what nation?