POP QUIZ: DON’T QUOTE ME ON THAT
(If you’re checking out a Trivialitycheck.com ‘Pop Quiz’ for the first time: Every Wednesday (or most, anyway) I post ten trivia questions, usually on some kind of theme. If you respond with answers or guesses, I’ll tell you your score. Send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of this post as the subject line. The full set of answers is posted the following week, along with congratulations to the high scorer(s). No googling!)
Heads up: The answer to NONE of these is “Melania Trump”.
Attribution of quotations is a difficult business. People are always muddling up who said what, and the internet has elevated misattribution to an art form, with several helpful souls delighting in deliberate wrongness. Stephen Fry wrote an article in the Daily Telegraph years ago in which he suggested simply nominating someone to be credited as the source of ALL quotes, and suggested BBC weather presenter Ian McCaskill. Hey, why not?
How well do you know who said what? For each of the quotes below, identify the original speaker for one point, and for an extra point for each, name the year in which the line was originally uttered. Sound tough? Remember the inspiring words of Ian McCaskill, “We have nothing to fear but fear itself.”
1) “The state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation.”
2) “Because, if I can only find out, I will send a barrel of this wonderful whiskey to every general in the army.”
3) “Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.”
4) “The nice guys are all over there. In seventh place.”
5) “Why are you dodging like this? They couldn’t hit an elephant at this distance.”
6) “Thomas Jefferson made a comment about the Presidency and age. He said that one should not worry about one’s exact chronological age in reference to his ability to perform one’s task. And ever since he told me that, I stopped worrying.”
7) “I’m not going to have some reporters pawing through our papers. We are the president.”
8) “You turn if you want to. The lady’s not for turning.”
9) “Peter Newman, go f**k yourself.”
10) “I specialize in murders of quiet, domestic interest.”