POP QUIZ: I READ THE (OLYMPIC) NEWS TODAY OH BOY (answers)
And joint gold-medal winners this week are Michelle B and Todd J, with high-scoring sevens (the Russian judge gave a 5.2, but to heck with him). Enjoy your time atop the podium, Michelle and Todd!
1) Japanese pole vaulter Hiroki Ogita was trying to clear a 5.3m bar, but the bar became unsteady when he brushed it with first his shin and then his thigh as he went over. What finally knocked the bar off, eliminating Ogita from contention?
2) Judo contender Islam el-Shehaby of Egypt was sent home by his team after refusing to do what?
3) German twins Anna and Lisa Hahner were reprimanded by their country’s Olympic officials because they both completed the Women’s Marathon while doing what?
4) Algae, a pH imbalance, and contractor error were all offered as explanations for what?
5) After losing a controversial decision to his opponent Vladimir Nikitin, Irish boxer and World Bantamweight Champion Michael Conlan sent a tweet reading ‘How much did they charge you, bro?’ directed to whom?
6) Aqua-American Michael Phelps set a record for the most individual Gold Medals won by a single athlete. Who was the previous record holder?
7) Two Mongolian wrestling coaches protested a controversial call, one which cost their athlete a medal, by doing what?
8) Seventy-one year old Irishman Patrick Hickey was arrested by Rio police for allegedly scalping tickets to high-profile events. What was Hickey’s occupation?
9) Brazilians Ingrid Oliveira and Giovanna Pedroso ended their Synchronised Diving partnership shortly after placing eighth, a poorer than expected performance which Pedrosso blames on her teammate doing what?
10) After being swamped with long lines and running out of prepared food, McDonalds in the Olympic Village imposed what limit on their “free food for Olympic athletes” policy?
1) HIS PENIS (still inside his shorts, but… y’know… bulging.)
2) SHAKE HIS OPPONENT’S HAND (Israel’s Or Sasson won the match)
3) HOLDING HANDS
4) THE WATER IN THE DIVING POOL TURNED GREEN (and, according to one unnamed German diver, ‘the whole pool smells like a fart’.)
5) VLADIMIR PUTIN
6) LEONIDAS OF RHODES (who won twelve gold medals across four Olympics, from 164BCE to 152BCE. His record stood for 2,168 years.)
8) PRESIDENT OF THE OLYMPIC COUNCIL OF IRELAND
9) LOCKING PEDROSSO OUT OF THEIR SHARED ROOM (so she could have sex with a canoeist)
10) TWENTY ITEMS PER ORDER (twenty!)
Some folks guessed that Phelps actually broke his own record this year, and for certain records he did. Some of his medals aren’t gold, some are won by a team… but for specifically gold medals won by an individual, the previous record holder held the record for a LONG time.
Those last two pretty much sum up life in Olympic village, according to many reports. After years of strict training regimins, Olympic athletes binge in more ways than one as soon as their event is over (or even before). A record 450,000 condoms were handed out to athletes this year, three times as many as London 2012. And the local McDonalds had offered free food to any competing athlete, but finally put a cap on orders as lineups stretched out of the restaurant, and some contenders were ordering burgers by the dozen.
BTW… “burgers by the dozen” is the main reason I’m not in the Olympics.