POP QUIZ: I REMEMBER THAT! (answers)
First off, let me apologize for missing a week. Life, huh? Whaddya gonna do? I appreciate your patience.
And big congratulations to Vanessa S, who was not only the only person to send me a “hey where’s this week’s trivia” email, but also got the high score for the week, with an unforgettable 14/20. Way to go Vanessa!
Special mention to Michelle B with a very close 13/20, and a kinder adjudicator might have given her that last point… 🙂
For each phrase below, simply state what it is intended to help you remember. For one bonus point per question, list each element in the sequence. (ONE point total, no matter how many elements in the list. ZERO for any partial lists.)
1) Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain
2) Cows Often Sit Down Carefully, Perhaps Their Joints Creak
3) My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nachos
4) Do Koalas Prefer Chocolate Or Fruit, Generally Speaking
5) Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally
6) Elephants And Donkeys Grow Big Ears
7) Super Man Helps Every One
8) How To Punish Bad Daleks Before Many Million Earthlings Truly See Clearly
9) Will A Jolly Man Make A Jolly Visitor
10) All Beheadings Should Carry Heavy Penalties
1) COLOURS OF THE SPECTRUM (Red, orange yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet)
2) GEOLOGICAL PERIODS (Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Carboniferous, Permian, Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous)
3) THE EIGHT PLANETS IN ORDER AWAY FROM THE SUN (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune)
4) TAXONOMY (Domain, Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species)
5) MATHEMATICAL ORDER OF OPERATIONS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction)
6) STANDARD GUITAR TUNING (low E, A, D, G, B, high E)
7) GREAT LAKES FROM WEST TO EAST (Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie, Ontario)
8) ACTORS WHO PORTRAY DOCTOR WHO (Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Baker, Davison, Baker, McCoy, McGann, Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, Capaldi)
9) FIRST EIGHT PRESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES (George Washington, John Quincy Adams, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, John Quincy Adams, Andrew Jackson, Martin Van Buren)
10) SURNAMES OF HENRY VIII’S WIVES (Aragon, Boleyn, Seymour, Cleves, Howard, Parr)
The “Cows Often Sit Down” one is actually only partial. The full thing is “Cows Often Sit Down Carefully. Perhaps, Their Joints Creak? Persistent, Early Oiling Might Prevent Painful Rheumatism” and stands for Cambrian, Ordovician, Silurian, Devonian, Carboniferous, Permian, Triassic, Jurassic, Cretaceous, Paleocene, Eocene, Oligocene, Miocene, Pliocene, Pleistocene, and Recent. Frankly, you’d do well just to remember the mnemonic, never mind the meaning.
The planets one changed when Pluto gave up the whole planet thing, presumably to pursue other interests. When I learned it in school, it was “My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles”. Clearly, her education didn’t include catering.