POP QUIZ: I REMEMBER THAT!
(If you’re checking out a Trivialitycheck.com ‘Pop Quiz’ for the first time: Every Wednesday (or most, anyway) I post ten trivia questions, usually on some kind of theme. If you respond with answers or guesses, I’ll tell you your score. Send your answers to email@example.com with the title of this post as the subject line. The full set of answers is posted the following week, along with congratulations to the high scorer(s). No googling!)
We all use mnemonics, even if we don’t realize it. Simple things like “I before E except after C”, or “Thirty Days Hath September..”. My favourite (which I’ve never had to use for real) is “A Before O Or Up You Go”, which reminds welders to turn on the Acetylene before the Oxygen, so as not to explode. Useful!
Some of the most entertaining mnemonics are very odd phrases, with each initial letter being also the initial letter of some kind of particular sequence. For example, the phrase “God’s Eternal Love Never Dies” (G, E, L, N, D) can help you remember that the books of the pentateuch are Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. Now, if you could just remember what ‘pentateuch’ means…
For each phrase below, simply state what the inital letters of each word are intended to help you remember. For one bonus point per question, list each element in the sequence. (ONE point total, no matter how many elements in the list. ZERO for any partial lists.)
1) Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain
2) Cows Often Sit Down Carefully, Perhaps Their Joints Creak
3) My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nachos
4) Do Koalas Prefer Chocolate Or Fruit, Generally Speaking
5) Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally
6) Elephants And Donkeys Grow Big Ears
7) Super Man Helps Every One
8) How To Punish Bad Daleks Before Many Million Earthlings Truly See Clearly
9) Will A Jolly Man Make A Jolly Visitor
10) All Beheadings Should Carry Heavy Penalties