POP QUIZ: IT’S NOT EASY BEING GREEN (answers)
This week, you can all be green with envy of Tim B, who took top honours with a not-at-all jaded 6/10. Way to go, Tim.
1) The presence of small amounts of what element gives an emerald it’s distinctive green colouring?
CHROMIUM (accept VANADIUM, and then yell at the player for being a smartass)
2) The film ‘Soylent Green’ is based – somewhat loosely – on the 1966 science fiction novel ‘Make Room! Make Room!’ by which author?
3) What name is shared by municipalities in Florida, Kentucky, Missouri, and Ohio? The name consists of a sport and a colour (the colour should be fairly obvious by now).
4) In the Stephen King serial novel “The Green Mile”, what is the Green Mile?
5) What is the primary flavour of Absinthe, also known as “la fée verte” (the green fairy)?
ANISE (that black licorice flavour, like ouzo)
6) Canadian musician Dallas Green, formerly of Alexisonfire, records and performs using what ‘band name’, even though he is a solo artist?
CITY AND COLOUR
7) Who was the first Pro Golfer to win a Green Jacket for victory at the Masters golf tournament in Augusta, Georgia?
SAM SNEAD (1949. In earlier years, no green jackets were given)
8) The Green River, starting in the Wind River Mountains in Wyoming, is the largest tributary to what major river?
THE COLORADO RIVER
9) What is the capital and largest city of Greenland?
10) In his first appearance, what colour was the Incredible Hulk?
Lots of folks said copper for #1… I probably would have, too.
And lots of folks said wormwood for number five. I’ve done a bit of reading, and although wormwood is (or in some cases was) an ingredient of absinthe, everyone agrees that the flavour is from anise. I’ve never had absinthe. From what I’ve read, the hallucinogenic effects are greatly exaggerated. And this giant purple earthworm agrees with me.