POP QUIZ: LITERARY RELIGION (answers)
And great blessings shall be upon the noggins of… Vanessa S and Todd McG, who tied for high score with holier-than-thou 8 out of 10s. Well done!
1) In the James Bond novel ‘Live & Let Die’, what religion is Mr. Big?
2) To which monastic order does Brother Cadfael belong?
3) Of what faith is Robert E. Howard’s pulp-hero Solomon Kane?
4) What science fiction author created the character of a robotic monk, which believed things for you so that you could get on with your life?
DOUGLAS ADAMS (Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency)
5) In which Terry Pratchett series of novels do the gods live in Dunmanefestin, on top of the mountain Cori Celesti?
6) In Dan Brown’s ‘The Da Vinci Code’ what is the name of the secret organization dedicated to preserving the ‘truth’ of the bloodline of Christ?
THE PRIORY OF SION
7) ‘Murder In The Cathedral’ by T. S. Eliot tells the story of the assassination of which Archbishop, in Canterbury Cathedral in 1170?
8) A murder mystery set in an Italian monastery during the time of the inquisition, who wrote ‘The Name Of The Rose’?
9) What Christopher Moore comic novel is sub-titled ‘The Gospel According To Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal’?
10) Characters in which 1972 best seller are followers of Lapine Theism, and worship Frith, the sun god?
I recently read a complete collection of Howard’s Soloman Kane stories, including a number of incomplete story fragments. If you can past the racism, misogyny and violence, they’re quite good.