POP QUIZ: OCTOBER 21ST (answers)
We’ve got a triumvirate of champions this week. Congratulations to Todd McG, Tim B & Raymond C who each scored 7/10. Well done, well done, well done!
1) 1097: Godfrey Of Boullion leads an army of the First Crusade in laying siege to a city in what is now southern Turkey, a key provision point on the road to Palestine. The siege would last for eight months, and require two waves of reinforcements for the Crusaders, before the city fell. What was the name of the ancient city?
2) 1512: What famous theologian, born in Saxony under the Holy Roman Empire, joined the faculty of the University of Wittenberg with the title ‘Doctor In Bible’?
3) 1520: Who discovered a navigable sea route between Tierra del Fuego and the mainland of South America?
FERDINAND MAGELLAN (The Straits Of Magellan)
4) 1805: Admiral Lord Nelson leads the British Navy to victory over the combined French and Spanish fleets off the coast of Spain in what battle? Nelson died, but British forces prevailed.
THE BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR
5) 1854: Who found herself stationed at Scutari, where she witnessed some 4,077 soldiers die, mostly from infections contracted after they were wounded?
6) 1867: Which of Thomas Edison’s inventions, perhaps his most famous, was invented on this day? When it was tested the following day, it lasted thirteen and a half hours.
INCANDESCENT LIGHT BULB
7) 1917: What jazz trumpeter and bandleader, with the real given names John Birks, was born this day?
8) 1959: The Guggenheim Museum opens to the public. What architect designed the museum?
FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT
9) 1983: The Seventeenth General Conference on Weights and Measures defines what unit of measurement as “the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second”?
10) 1995: What was the name of the singer and guitarist for the band “Blind Melon” who died on this day?
October 21, 2015 was also “Back To The Future” day, the day on which Marty McFly arrives in the future in the second of the films in that trilogy. According to the film, we’re supposed to have hoverboards, flying cars, clean nuclear fusion reactors and “Jaws XIX”. So, just a little shy of the mark, there.