POP QUIZ: STAR TREK TRIVIA FOR TREKKIES (answers)
Congratulation to the Todds, McG and J, who both scored a “set phasers on” stunning 12/15. Way to go! Clearly the Todds are sharing some kind of Borg-like hive mind. Good for them.
1) Occasionally visible on tubes and pipes inside Jeffries Tubes, what does the acronym “G.N.D.N.” stand for?
GOES NOWHERE, DOES NOTHING
2) What class of ship is the U.S.S. Enterprice NCC-1701?
3) In “The Ultimate Computer”, Commodore Wesley calls Kirk “Captain Dunsel”, as a playful insult which nevertheless disturbs Kirk. What does “Dunsel” mean?
A PART WHICH SERVES NO PURPOSE, SOMETHING USELESS (Starfleet Academy slang)
4) What three roles were played by Majel Barret in the original Star Trek series?
THE VOICE OF THE SHIP’S COMPUTER, NURSE CHRISTINE CHAPEL, and ‘NUMBER ONE’ in the pilot episode “THE CAGE” (and subsequently “THE MENAGERIE”, which re-purposed footage from that original, unaired pilot.)
5) Which first season episode is set at the Tantalus V rehabilitation colony for the criminally insane?
DAGGER OF THE MIND
6) What is the name of the vessel on which are found the hibernating bodies of Khan Noonian Singh and his crew?
SS BOTANY BAY
7) Which award winning science fiction and television writer penned the original screenplay for “City On The Edge Of Forever”, and then spent the next forty years whining about Roddenberry’s edit of his work?
8) Which Trek writer and producer wrote the screenplays for “Errand Of Mercy” (and thus created the Klingons), “Arena” (thus creating the United Federation Of Planets”) and “Metamorphosis” which featured the first appearance of warp-drive inventor Zephram Cochrane?
GENE L. COON
9) What was the name of the Squire Of Gothos?
TRELANE (General, retired)
10) What is the name of the woman Kirk encounters on an otherwise deserted Enterprise, in the episode “The Mark Of Gideon”?
11) For which episode is a book entitles “Chicago Mobs Of The Twenties” the source of all the trouble?
A PIECE OF THE ACTION
12) In “City On The Edge Of Forever” what does Spock say he’s endeavouring to do, using ‘stone knives and bearskins’?
CONSTRUCT A MNEMONIC MEMORY CIRCUIT
13) Who portrayed Dr. Miranda Jones, telepathic assistant to the Medusan ambassador Kollos?
DIANA MULDAUR (who later portrayed Dr. Pulaski on the Next Generation)
14) Despite being engaged to Spock, who did T’Pring actually wish to marry?
15) What was the occupation of Jim Kirk’s brother, Sam, who died on Deneva?
I only learned “Goes nowhere, does nothing” a couple of weeks ago. It was that little factoid that started me on putting together this quiz. Nearly fifty years later, and I’m still learning things about this show. Does that say something about the show, or me?