POP QUIZ: THIS ONE GOES TO FIFTEEN (answers)
And big congrats go to Susan McL who bested the bunch this week. A fifteen gun salute for Susan!
1) Whose performance in 1940’s “Mrs Miniver” won her the 15th Best Actress Oscar?
2) Which city hosted the fifteenth Winter Olympic games?
3) Whose fifteeth studio album was 1983’s “Inarticulate Speech Of The Heart”?
4) Which US state was fifteenth to join the union, signing on in 1792? The state’s northern border was based on the flow of the Ohio river, and although the river’s course has meandered somewhat, the border remains unchanged.
5) “Men At Arms”, released in 1993 and set in the city of Ankh-Morpork, is the fifteenth full length novel in what long-running comic fantasy series?
6) Name any year during which Louis XV was King Of France.
7) How old was Lance Kerwin when he portrayed the title character James Hunter in “James At 15”?
8) What is the Fahrenheit equivalent of 15 degrees Celsius?
9) What recurring villain made his debut appearance in Amazing Spider-Man # 15 (volume 1) in 1964? In a 1987 six-issue story arc, the same villain apparently kills Spider-Man and assumes his place.
10) Who was Prime Minister Of Canada in 1915?
1) GREER GARSON
2) CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA
3) VAN MORRISON
9) KRAVEN THE HUNTER
10) ROBERT BORDEN
“James At 15” was pretty controversial for its time. There was some uproar over the depiction of teenage sex, and euphemistic references to birth control. Part way through the run, they changed the title to “James At 16”. They never made it to “James At 17”.
That 1987 comic series “Kraven’s Last Hunt” was some of the best comic writing ever. There was a recurring motif of gravedigging that almost gave the books a sense of rythym. Fantastic stuff.