POP QUIZ: THIS QUIZ IS TOTAL PANTS (answers)
Well, some of you had a hard time getting into my pants. Wait, let’s rephrase…
A lot of you found this one pretty difficult. But not all of you. Susan McL, who is becoming a regular at the top of the leaderboard, scored a whopping 8/10, way more than her closest competitors. Way to go, Susan!
1) What figure of Regency England is credited with popularizing the jacket- trousers-and-tie ensemble now commonly referred to as a suit?
GEORGE BYRON “BEAU” BRUMMELL
2) What is the number of the style of Levi’s denim jeans referred to as the ‘original’ or the ‘historic’, a style that has remained essentially unchanged for over a century?
3) Which band hit the charts (although it didn’t hit them very hard) with “Bell Bottom Blues” in 1971?
DEREK AND THE DOMINOES
4) Which Tsar issued a 1701 ruling that all Russians excluding clergymen and peasant farmers must wear trousers?
PETER I (THE GREAT)
5) Referring to a loose-fitting knee-length trouser, from where did the French word ‘pantaloons’ derive?
FROM THE COMEDIA DEL ARTE CHARACTER ‘PANTALONE’
6) Which island lends its name to a style of short trousers introduced by designer Sonja de Lennart in 1948 and usually worn by women?
7) In what year did the RCMP first allow women to wear trousers as part of a dress uniform? (you can have two years either way)
2012 (Yep, three whole years ago. Way to progress, Mounties.)
8) Which late-night comedian called his production company “Worldwide Pants Inc.”?
9) What series of young adult novels about a magical pair of jeans was penned by Ann Brashares?
THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS
10) What late professional golfer was commonly seen decked out in brightly-coloured short trousers similar to plus fours or knickerbockers?