POP QUIZ: TODD’S MULTI-CULTURAL X-MASTRAVAGANZA (answers)
Congratulations to jolly little elf Susan McL, who grabbed the star atop the tree with a best-of-the-season 8/10. Marry ho ho, or whatever.
1) What common holiday object is a “Tannenbaum”, and in what language?
GERMAN for CHRISTMAS TREE
2) Complete this verse from this classic Spanish/English Christmas song: ““Feliz Navidad, Feliz Navidad, Feliz Navidad, _______ ___ _ _________!”
PROSPERO ANO Y FELICIDAD
3) Famous Canadians Bob and Doug MacKenzie tried to sing their own version of “Twelve Days of Christmas” on their Great White North album. They didn’t make it. How far did they get, and what would have been the gift for that number?
8 COMIC BOOKS
4) What does the manager of the Chinese restaurant decapitate at the table during the Parker’s Christmas dinner?
5) Jim Henson’s 1977 TV special, “Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas” is a retelling of what American author’s classic Christmas short story?
O. HENRY’S “THE GIFT OF THE MAGI”
6) What iconic British Christmas character has been portrayed by non-Brits Jim Carrey, Kelsey Grammer, and George C. Scott? Actual British actors who have played the role include Patrick Stewart and Tim Curry.
EBENEZER SCROOGE (Carrey in 2009, Grammer in 2004, and George C. Scott in 1984)
7) In the movie Miracle on 34th Street, a little girl waiting in line to see Kris Kringle is nervous because she doesn’t speak English. Of course, since he is the real Santa Claus, he speaks her language fluently. What language is that?
8) Where do they offer the holiday greeting “Mele Kalikimaka”?
9) In what movie were the main characters served a Scandinavian Christmas feast of roast suckling pig, fresh baked kringlors with a honey pecan dipping sauce, seven-day-old lutefisk, and lamb gookins?
THE REF (Best Christmas Movie Ever)
10) Which songwriter of Russian-Jewish heritage, along with Bob Wells, composed the now-standard holiday tune “The Christmas Song” in 1945, during a blistering hot summer?
And thanks again to Todd J for this wonderful quiz!
If you’ve got a quiz you’d like to share – or even just an idea for a quiz theme – drop me a line at email@example.com and we can work on it together.