POP QUIZ: UN BEAR ABLE (answers)
And a big bear-hug goes to Todd McG, who hit the honey-pot with a high score of 7/10 this week. That’s two weeks in a row Todd took top honours. Way to go Todd!
1) Who played Tight End for the Chicago Bears in their 1963 Championship Season, and also coached them to Super Bowl victory in 1985?
2) Which type of bear has the latinate appelation Ursus Arctos Middendorffi?
3) What is the real first name of TV action-adventure presenter Bear Grylls?
EDWARD (Edward Michael “Bear” Grylls. His older sister called him bear when he was still a baby)
4) Of the consteallations ‘Ursa Minor’ (‘little bear’) and ‘Ursa Major’ (‘big bear’), which one actually contains the star Polaris?
URSA MINOR (Polaris, the north star, is the at the end of the ‘handle’ on the ladel-shaped contellation. Seriously, it looks way more like a big spoon then a bear. Stupid Ptolemy.)
5) What was the name of the Polar Bear that lived in Central Park in New York City from 1985 to 2013, and (being a New Yorker) was once prescribed Prozac?
6) What television role was portrayed by a bear named Bozo, on NBC from 1977-1978?
BEN, on THE LIFE AND TIMES OF GRIZZLY ADAMS
7) The Bruins is the official athletic nickname for teams from which major American university?
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA AT LOS ANGELES (UCLA)
8) Which Shakespeare play contains the otherwise unexplained stage direction ‘exit, pursued by bear’?
A WINTER’S TALE
9) What actor sang the song “Bear Necessities” in the Disney animated film “The Jungle Book”?
10) What golfer carried the nickname “The Golden Bear”?
I wrote this quiz last month, when this story hit the news. Made me think “What’s that bear doing in the swimming pool?” “The backstroke.”